Friday, November 13, 2009

Wow, What a Day!




Wow is all I can say after our adventure yesterday. Thanks to the Ambien, Chris and I got about 6 solid hours of sleep. Despite this, we were still up at around 4am. After futzing around our hotel room for a bit, we headed down for breakfast, which was surprisingly yummy. We were also fortunate enough to Skype with the boys shortly after returning home from school. How awesome that was to see and talk to them from all the way on the other side of the world – and for free! During the night, snow fell and blanketed the city in a beautiful white dusting. It is gorgeous – but cold. I think it was around 32 degrees yesterday. We met our group at 9:30 am and thus ensued an all day trek to Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City (which we can see from our hotel window), the government owned silk factory, Hu-Tong village complete with a rickshaw ride, lunch and dinner. The architecture is simply stunning. Chris and I are the youngest in the group yet somehow managed to be the slowest! We were walking aimlessly with our mouths open taking it all in. We have both always been fascinated with architecture and you could spend endless days looking at the details in the Forbidden City. We did not return to our hotel room until after 6pm so needless to say we were beat! I think I mentioned previously that there are 4 other families in our group, 2 of which brought their kids. The kids did amazing for all of the walking we did and Chris and I were so impressed with them. It is impossible to convey the enormity of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The pictures just do not do it justice. Our guide, Sindy is also amazing. She works for a local travel agency and is extremely knowledgeable but also went to school in the U.S. at the University of Washington. Attached are just a few of the pictures we took. Our lunch and dinner were equally impressive. I had been warned that I would not like the food, but Sindy must know the right places, because it has been nothing less than awesome. We had a traditional lunch with various dishes and then a noodle dinner also with assorted dishes and it was all delicious!

Our schedule today is jam-packed. We leave at 8:30 am for the Great Wall, the Jade Factory, lunch, a brief visit to the Olympic Village, a Tea Ceremony and an acrobatic show followed by a traditional dinner of Peking Duck. Whew! I’m tired just typing it all. The good thing is, it keeps our minds off of the wait until we get Dani. We still cannot believe that in 2 short days we get to meet her. Driving around the bus and looking at the various sites, It feels surreal, like a dream and I am scared I am going to wake up. It is also wonderful to have the opportunity to travel with families who have done this before. They are invaluable resource for what to expect with our little one, how to handle it, etc. In one of the returning families, the wife is a social worker who deals with adoption and attachment. I have been asking her hundreds of questions! Well, we better go eat while we can and we are also going to find a Starbucks. We heard there is one not far from our hotel. Thank you all for your comments on the blog and e-mails, they are wonderful and Chris and I so enjoy reading them at the end of our long days.

11 comments:

  1. WOW!!! It is beautiful!! You guys look so happy!We have been thinking about you both everyday....Can't wait to hear about DANI DAY!!!! Love the diaz family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from SD...

    ...latest news from here...
    Bob is headed down bright an EARLY to meet the American Angler

    Patton family are camping in their new 24' trailer this weekend

    Really enjoying sharing China with you.Looking forward to meeting Dani !love Barb

    ..." a baby is born with the need to be loved- and never outgrows it". frank a. clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. House still standing. Boys going with Bubb and Allison tonight to drive race cars. I'll take the night off. Boat in early so we will go meet it. Glad you are enjoying the beautiful country. You can't Skype when you have Dani until I'm home from work! Amazing to have all the pictures and enjoy with you.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your amazing experience with us can't wait to meet Dani and see more photo's, thinking of you both everyday.
    Much Love, Laurie & family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you guys,
    can't wait to meet Dani
    miss you both

    Love,Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Glad all is going well. We are so happy for you guys.

    Love,
    Richard & Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very excited for you guys! China looks amazing. It is nice to think you guys are so close to us in Japan right now:) I can't even think of the right words for the excitement I feel for you guys meeting Dani tomorrow. We will have you all in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love, Alisa, Jason and Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thnx you for the joy I get sharing your uncanny writing expressing what you seeing/doing/feeling. I realize words will describe the exuberance U & Chris will feel when the little dumpling actually gets into Ur arms, but it is THAT moment I'm so looking fwd to hearing! Can't wait! I'm trying to be patient! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I realize words will NOT describe ....

    Correcting typo. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love going on line and checking out your updates! It's so cool how you can share all of this with friends and family in the actual moment! It sounds like it's everything you hoped it would be and more!! I can't wait to hear more about your trip when you get back and most importantly meet your new baby daughter!! :) God bless! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you've been receiving our e-mails . . . prefer to write that way (unless you'd rather we post on the blog. If so, let me know if you can). My gosh, today's the day (Monday in China) . . . I know Dani will love you!! Though you're understandably nervous, so many good wishes are flowing your way, I know all will be well. We're very close to you in thought, but we're physically very far away . . . so I'm glad you've the moral support and guidance of returning adoptive parents. Love you all, Mernie

    ReplyDelete