Monday, December 14, 2009

Forever Family - 4 Weeks Today



In the craziness of today, I almost mised that today marks 4 weeks that Dani has been a part of our family and her 15-month birthday. 4 weeks. . . . 1 month. On the one hand 4 weeks feels like a long time yet on the other, 1 month out of the 15 she has been in this world is nothing.
Often times when Dani is asleep in my arms or on our bed I just stare at her in amazement. I can't believe that after waiting 2 years and 9 months that she is really here. It is the same amazement that I used to feel when I looked at the boys. I couldn't believe that Chris and I MADE them and that they grew and came out of my body. I feel the exact same way about Dani, and while not in the physical sense, she did grow in us. With every form we completed, every background check, every doctor visit, every day, week and year that passed, she was growing inside of us. It was my longest pregnancy to date! Seriously, though, both Chris and I had some anxiety and wondered if we would feel the same about our adopted child as we do about our biological and the answer is a resounding YES. I do feel cheated in one way however. Dani is already 15 months old. Pretty soon, she will not be a "baby" but a toddler. It makes me sad when I think of the months that we missed, her first steps, the first time she crawled and sat up on her own. The weeks are flying by and she is getting older, but to us she is only 4 weeks "old."

No comments:

Post a Comment