Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So Why China?

This is the question Chris and I are asked the most. After making the decision to adopt, we really only considered two options - Local or China. I had always been interested in adopting from China primarily because I am one-quarter Chinese (see picture below of me and Grandma). After researching China's adoption process however, we learned that China is the #1 country for international adoption. This is due in part because the process is very regulated, and void of the corruption of some other countries, the babies tend to be healthier than other countries, and let's not forget the well publicized plight of girls in China. When it came down to it for Chris and I we considered all of those factors plus the fact that Chinese girls are just so damn cute!



In all seriousness, the decision to adopt from China became not only about adding a daughter to our family, but also about providing a forever family to a little girl who might otherwise spend a great deal of her life in an orphanage. There are people who will argue that there are plenty of children here who need homes and all I can say is that adoption is a very serious and deeply personal decision. Adopting from China is the decision that was right for our family. Below is another picture of my Grandma in Honolulu as a little girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment